Nurturing Parenting Connection is an evidence-based home visitation program serving families with children ages newborn to 12 years old. The program is designed to assist parents who do not qualify for county-based home visitation services.
Through this program CAPC serves families who may normally fall through the cracks of the “social services safety net,” later requiring more costly intensive programs, if they had not been provided our home-based intervention services. The Home-Base Program teaches parents the value of recognizing and understanding feelings, nurturing parenting routines, alternatives to hitting, child development, as well as ways to build self esteem and a healthy self concept in parents and children.
The overall focus of the program is to prevent child abuse and neglect in the home through a “strengthening families approach.” This approach incorporates the 5 Protective Factors Framework:
- Parental resilience
- Social connections
- Concrete support in times of need
- Knowledge of parenting and child development
- Social and emotional competence of children
Nurturing Parenting Connection Home-Based Curriculum
The Nurturing Parenting 15-week, home-based curriculum entails these measurable outcomes:
- Developing empathy, parent-child bonding and attachment
- Teaching parents appropriate expectations regarding a child’s growth and development to foster positive brain development and feelings of self worth, as well as trust and security
- Administering discipline while promoting dignity for both the adult and child
- Empowering adult and child, so far as how to nurture themselves and each other
- Promoting positive self worth
- Helping all family members in developing a meaningful level of self awareness and acceptance
Parenting Connection Family Support Specialists also assist families by assessing specific needs and providing linkage and referral services as needed. The Home-Based Program is offered to families located in Central and East Contra Costa County. Administered in either English or Spanish, the program is available to families who have challenges in attending group parenting classes but would benefit from home visitation support. Due to the duration of the Program, there may be a waiting period and families may not be seen immediately. If you have questions or would like to make a referral, please complete and submit a referral form or contact us at (925) 798-0546.