CAPC offers free evidence-based parenting classes across Contra Costa County in English and in Spanish. Nurturing Parenting curriculum is designed to build nurturing parenting skills that break the inter-generational cycle of child maltreatment and dysfunction. As well, the program provides support and resources for parents.
Goals of the curriculum include:
- Preventing recidivism in families receiving social services
- Connecting families to community resources
- Reducing the rate of juvenile delinquency and substance abuse
- Stopping the inter-generational cycle of child maltreatment by teaching positive parenting behavior
Targeting families that are at risk of abuse and neglect, the program serves as a primary prevention tool to increase healthy parenting knowledge and skills.
Nurturing Parenting Philosophy
The nurturing parenting philosophy of non-violent parenting focuses on developing:
- Self worth
- Self awareness
- Discipline with dignity
- Appropriate family roles
- Age appropriate expectations of a child’s development
- Nurturing & Attachment; children need love & respect to encourage their optimal health & development
The Nurturing Parenting “Center-Based” Program & NEW Special Needs Program
We use the Strengthen Families Framework incorporating the Five Protective Factors that serve to protect children & promote their healthy development & well-being, especially during times of stress. Building these strengths at every opportunity is a proven way to strengthen families & prevent child abuse & neglect.
- Parental Resilience. Strength, flexibility & courage during stress to deal with challenges.
- Knowledge of Parenting & Child Development. Parenting is part natural & part learned; there’s no such thing as a perfect parent.
- Social Connections. Parents need friends, family & neighbors that care about them & their children.
- Concrete Supports in Times of Need. Everyone needs help sometimes; it’s okay to ask for help, which builds resilience.
- Social & Emotional Competence. Through positive interactions with caring adults, children learn to communicate, develop & learn to use their thinking skills appropriately.
Classes in English : For more information or to register for a class click here West County
Classes in Spanish: Para mas informacion o para registarse en las clases click aqui: Clases para padres que tienes hijos con Necesidades Especiales, Belshaw, Concord, Highlands, Vintage
Parents and children attend classes for 15-22 weeks that meet concurrently and are administered by CAPC-trained facilitators. Classes are designed to:
- Build self awareness
- Instill positive self concept/self esteem
- Develop levels of empathy
- Enhance family communication and awareness of individual needs
Classes highlight replacing abusive behaviors with nurturing intentional habits, promoting healthy physical and emotional development, while teaching appropriate role and developmental expectations. Each week parents and children are provided with dinner and classroom activities entail role plays, videos, worksheets, parent handbooks and assessment inventories. In addition, parents and children learn how to play games, sing songs and have fun as a family.
Each family in the program is awarded a stipend for successfully completing either the 15 or 22-week long coursework. Classes are offered free of charge and run July through December and January through July at various locations across Contra Costa County. For additional information, call (925) 798-0546.